[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 12:08:49 UTC 2021

dear Randy,

Interesting. Likewise, reading aloud was the norm in the West during
Antiquity, and through most of the Medieval period
<https://sites.nd.edu/manuscript-studies/2015/01/29/read-to-yourself/>.
The first mention of silent reading in the West dates to late Antiquity.
Around 384 AD, Augustine of Hippo [St. Augustine] travelled to Milan, where
he met with Ambrose.  In his *Confessions*, he would later recall how
surprised he was to see Ambrose reading not aloud, but silently to himself:

“When he read, his eyes scanned the page and his heart sought out the
> meaning, but his voice was silent and his tongue was still. Anyone could
> approach him freely and guests were not commonly announced, so that often,
> when we came to visit him, we found him reading like this in silence, for
> he never read aloud.”

[original text
> <https://la.wikisource.org/wiki/Confessiones/Liber_Sextus#6.3.3>, §6.3: *Sed
> cum legebat, oculi ducebantur per paginas et cor intellectum rimabatur, vox
> autem et lingua quiescebant. Saepe cum adessemus (non enim vetabatur
> quisquam ingredi aut ei venientem nuntiari mos erat), sic eum legentem
> vidimus tacite.*]

The most instructive aspect of this passage is probably Augustine's
surprise at a practice he had never witnessed before.
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François
LaTTiCe <http://www.lattice.cnrs.fr/en/alexandre-francois/> — CNRS–