[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

LIU Danqing liudanq at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 16:05:29 UTC 2021

 Dear Randy and all:
  I would like to mention an interesting fact regarding ancient Chinese reading.
  Before early 20th Century when the official writing began to turn to be based on modern Chinese close to spoken Mandarin, reading (classical) Chinese aloud couldn't  be understood by listeners. Only the reader himself knows what he is reading, because without seeing the Chinese characters, one can hardly identify words or morphemes from many homonyms. Yuen-ren Chao wrote a famous short fanny story with only one syllable 'shi', in different characters, of course. So Chinese linguists state that the wenyan (classical written Chinese) is only an eye-governed language while baihua (modern written Mandarin) can be an ear-governed language.
  Best,
   Danny