[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 03:37:17 UTC 2021

This is the topic of the next lecture in my Morphology class (and my
students are currently reading your 2011 paper, Martin), so thank you
everyone for this timely and interesting discussion.

I would like to look at your conclusion from a different perspective,
though: I agree that spaces may not directly tell us about word boundaries
in languages, but for another reason.

Japanese is a very interesting example because there are three (sub)scripts
working together: kanji (from Chinese characters) for most lexical items,
hiragana for function morphemes, and katakana for borrowings and
onomatopoeia. The first response from most people (i.e. students) learning
about this for the first time is that Japanese sounds hard to write, with
the impression that the system may be redundant. But remember that Japanese
does not use spaces. And it simply does not need to: kanji and hiragana
very clearly mark the morphosyntactic structure of a sentence, so it is
easy to skim and identify word boundaries, or at least equivalent
information to what word boundaries do for us. This is an extremely
efficient and transparent system, reflecting how Japanese words
grammatically, not just orthographically.

My suggestion then is to not look at when spaces are used in an
orthography, but to look at what different orthographies do instead of
spaces, or otherwise in a way that reflects specific morphosyntactic
properties of languages.

Looking back at the history of our familiar alphabet, Greek vowels were
basically an accident when adapting the Phoenician writing system to Greek.
Phoenician follows the well-known triliteral root system of Semitic
languages, and those languages typically use abjads (consonant-only writing
systems), and I have to assume that this is due to the central importance
of consonants over vowels in their morphology. This can be traced back to
the origins of this writing in Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphs, where a direct
iconic representation of a meaning shifted to take on a specific consonant
value, and this was codified for only consonants, with vowels unwritten.
That is still the case today in Arabic, Hebrew, etc. (Aside: I prefer to
think of so-called the "long vowels" as vowel-holding consonants, i.e.
semivowels, etc., similar to how /i/ and /j/ or /u/ and /w/ may be
represented with the same letter in alphabets, such as the letter "V" in
Latin.) Consonant-only writing isn't such an obvious fit for another kind
of language where the vowels are equally important morphologically. The
Arabic script has been adapted for a number of other languages, so I'm not
suggesting it is impossible or that it won't work, but that it probably
wouldn't arise naturally, and due to this borrowing, it probably doesn't
tell us much about the structure of those languages. (On the other hand,
the Arabic script might have been a good fit for Turkish given that vowel
harmony means there are few contrasts to represent within vowels, so that's
another topic to look at.)

We might also ask what the introduction of spaces can tell us about the
structure of European languages. Perhaps the highly fusional inflection of
Latin and Greek was in itself enough to signal word boundaries and
morphological structure in general given certain typical orthotactic(?)
forms were much more frequent than others (similar to Japanese hiragana
marking functional morphemes).

But I don't think that adopting the existing traditions of English/European
orthography to a new, previously unwritten language necessarily tells us
very much about the morphological structure of that language, because it
will more likely be heavily influenced by the norms of English. This might
be less likely in cases where the speakers of the language are illiterate
before writing their own language, rather than biliterate(?) with English
or another European language (or Indonesian, etc., following similar
conventions). Where they write spaces might give us some suggestions about
word boundaries, of course. But I think it is even more interesting to see
what non-alphabetic scripts can tell us about the languages that they
represent.

Unfortunately we don't have a substantial number of truly independent
writing systems around the world to really test these ideas, but it's
certainly interesting to think about. There are a few more relevant
examples, like how Chinese simply has no need for a word "word" because it
has almost exclusively monosyllabic morphemes and characters, as well as
some idiomatic combinations of them (i.e. compounds). That tells us
something about the morphological structure of Chinese too, I think.

Whether any of this is really about "wordhood" is not yet clear to me, but
I do think that different orthographic traditions can give insights into
morphological structure in general. One way of looking at it is that
orthographies are a kind of formal analysis for morphological structure,
and as we all know, analyses are informed by but do not determine
linguistic organization. So if we think about writers as linguists, that
may be helpful in this discussion. In fact, just like there are different
grammatical theories, it may be that different orthographies are different
theories of wordhood or similar levels of structure. If so, it may be that
"words" (in the European sense) are just one way of looking at languages,
and that they are an analysis, but not necessarily a fundamental part of
linguistic structure. Or more interestingly, it may be that different
languages have different units on part with "words", often reflected by
orthographic systems. This is also why it's so interesting to look at
proposals for writing signed languages, which introduce other kinds of
challenges. I think this is generally in line with the conclusions of your
2011 paper, Martin.

Last week I assigned my students a paper about questions of polysynthetic
wordhood in Cree and Dakota (https://doi.org/10.1075/cilt.174.08rus), and
the paper emphasized that speakers of these languages would often write
much shorter words (with spaces between them) than expected according to
the traditional polysynthetic analysis of linguists. But I am suspicious
that they may be constrained by what they expect written "words" to look
like due to familiarity with English, and I was left wondering, most
importantly, what an original, indigenous script for Cree or Dakota would
look like: what is the ideal way to write these languages, not how English
writing can be borrowed for them. (I should add that Cree is often written
in Canadian syllabics, but I think that is a general writing system, and
according to Wikipedia designed by a linguist, so it may have other biases.
But perhaps a syllabary has other advantages suitable for "polysynthetic"
languages, however their structure is best analyze-- one option is that
there are multiple word-like levels in their structure, rather than a
unique level, and in that case a syllabary seems like a nice compromise to
divide it into iterated units.)

Daniel