[Lingtyp] Intensification and causation

Jesse P. Gates stauskad at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 09:55:28 UTC 2021

Dear Jeremy,

Could you tell us the precise Chinese dialect that this construction occurs
in? In many other Chinese dialects 'Adj.-de-hen' is simply an
intensification construction, so it is interesting how this dialect that
you speak of has constrained the meaning so specifically to a cause to
negative effect meaning.

Languages often have a choice between a negative intensifier and a positive
one.

I think in English 'too' often has negative overtones to it, but not
always.

In French, 'trop' is a negative intensifier and 'tres' is a positive one.
But I have heard that this is changing a bit and young people on the
streets use trop for some positive senses.

When I first started studying Chinese it took me a while to understand that
太 did not intensify in a negative way, necessarily. For example, if I say
in English, 'he's too fast', that usually means something negative (like I
can't catch him or beat him in a race), it usually doesn't mean 'he is very
fast' in a neutral way or 'he's so fast' in a positive way. But in Mandarin
他太快了 can be used for the meaning 'he is very fast', it can be used to get a
neutral, or negative, or positive meaning.

--
Best regards,

*Jesse P. Gates, PhD*Nankai University, School of Literature 南开大学文学院
https://nankai.academia.edu/JesseGates