[Lingtyp] Truth markers

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 17:42:20 UTC 2021

Dear Mira,

Another type of semantic shift related to truth markers is "be true" ->
"copula", found in Burmo-Rgyalrongic languages (Japhug ŋu "copula", related
to Tibetan ŋo.bo <http://xn--o-vla.bo> "true nature" and other related
forms), see Jacques and Pellard (2021:16).

Best wishes,

Guillaume

Reference
Jacques,  Guillaume and Thomas Pellard. 2021. Phylogenies based on lexical
innovations refute the Rung hypothesis. Diachronica, 38 (1), pp.1-24.
https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-03084829

Guillaume Jacques

Directeur de recherches
CNRS (CRLAO) - EPHE- INALCO