[Lingtyp] Language Death

Claire Bowern clairebowern at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 18:58:14 UTC 2021

Here are some more articles, particularly focusing on ones which centre
endangered languages and their users/owners

Cámara-Leret, Rodrigo.; and Jordi Bascompte. 2021. Language extinction
triggers the loss of unique medicinal knowledge. *Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences* 118. National Acad Sciences. doi:10/gkgvr9
<https://doi.org/10/gkgvr9>.
Davis, Jenny L. Resisting rhetorics of language endangerment: Reclamation
through Indigenous language survivance. *Language Documentation and
Description *24.
Hill, Jane H. 2002. “Expert Rhetorics” in Advocacy for Endangered
Languages: Who Is Listening, and What Do They Hear? *Journal of Linguistic
Anthropology* 12.119–133.
Henne–Ochoa, Richard.; Emma Elliott–Groves.; Barbra A. Meek.; and Barbara
Rogoff. 2020. Pathways Forward for Indigenous Language Reclamation:
Engaging Indigenous Epistemology and Learning by Observing and Pitching in
to Family and Community Endeavors. *The Modern Language Journal*
104.481–493. doi:10/gm8xb2 <https://doi.org/10/gm8xb2>.
Kik, Alfred.; Martin Adamec.; Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald.; Jarmila Bajzekova.;
Nigel Baro.; Claire Bowern.; Robert K. Colwell.; Pavel Drozd.; Pavel Duda.;
and Sentiko Ibalim. 2021. Language and ethnobiological skills decline
precipitously in Papua New Guinea, the world’s most linguistically diverse
nation. *Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences* 118. National
Acad Sciences. doi:10/gj739z <https://doi.org/10/gj739z>.
Leonard, W. Y.; and E. Haynes. 2010. Making “collaboration” collaborative:
An examination of perspectives that frame linguistic field research. *Language
Documentation & Conservation* 4.269–293
Meek, Barbra A. 2007a. Respecting the Language of Elders: Ideological Shift
and Linguistic Discontinuity in a Northern Athapascan Community. *Journal
of Linguistic Anthropology* 17.23–43. doi:10/dk6qt7
<https://doi.org/10/dk6qt7>.
Meek, Barbra A. 2007b. Framing Indigenous Languages as Secondary to Matrix
Languages. *Anthropology & Education Quarterly* 38.99–118. doi:10/fckwz3
<https://doi.org/10/fckwz3>.
Meek, Barbra A. 2012. *We Are Our Language: An Ethnography of Language
Revitalization in a Northern Athabaskan Community*. University of Arizona
Press.
Meek, Barbra A. 2019. Language Endangerment in Childhood. *Annual Review of
Anthropology* 48.95–115. doi:10/ggdc82 <https://doi.org/10/ggdc82>.
Meek, Barbra Allyn. Kaska language socialization, acquisition and shift.
United States -- Arizona: The University of Arizona ph.d.
https://www.proquest.com/docview/252126711/abstract/461F99C7944B4B59PQ/1.
Meissner, Shelbi Nahwilet. 2018. The moral fabric of linguicide: un-weaving
trauma narratives and dependency relationships in Indigenous language
reclamation. *Journal of Global Ethics* 14. Routledge.266–276. doi:10/gm256m
<https://doi.org/10/gm256m>.
Perley, Bernard. 2011. Defying Maliseet Language Death. *University of
Nebraska Press -- Sample Books and Chapters*.
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/unpresssamples/79.
Perley, Bernard C. 2012. Zombie Linguistics: Experts, Endangered Languages
and the Curse of Undead Voices. *Anthropological Forum* 22.133–149. doi:
10.1080/00664677.2012.694170 <https://doi.org/10.1080/00664677.2012.694170>.
Turner, Margaret Kemarre.; and Barry Matthew John McDonald. 2010. *Iwenhe
Tyerrtye: What it means to be an Aboriginal person*. Alice Springs: IAD
Press.