[Lingtyp] Right node raising cross-linguistically?

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Tue Sep 28 07:35:58 UTC 2021

Hello all,

Sorry to bog people down in a reoccurring discussion about comparative
concepts, but has anyone ever thought of trying to define "Right Node
Raising" in a cross-linguistically general way? Does this even make sense...

As a refresher RNR goes back to Postal's 1974 *On Raising* (perhaps with
antecedents in Ross and Chomsky). It involves sentences like the following
in (1). (2) is supposed to be just normal coordination.

(1) Adam wrote ___ and his colleague edited the paper.

(2) Adam wrote the phonology paper and read the syntax paper.

I understand that (1) is called Right node raising, because there's some
idea that the [the paper] starts in the gapped position and raises
rightward...

RNR definition:
"Some structural repetition, where the repeated part is not a constituent
according to my assumptions about the constituency of the language."

Is that it, does anyone else have any insights into this based on their
research?

best,

Adam

--