[Lingtyp] ALT Newsletter 61

Jeff Good jcgood at buffalo.edu
Mon Aug 15 14:42:45 UTC 2022

Dear all,

As the chair of the ad hoc committee that is looking at Open Access issues for ALT, I wanted to respond to some of the questions raised on this thread (as well as some that have come to me privately) as best as I can. We can also raise some of these issues with De Gruyter when we next have the opportunity to meet with their representatives.

Here is some additional information:

1. About Subscribe to Open (S2O): This was a new model for me (and, as far as I know, the ALT Executive Committee as well) when De Gruyter proposed it. My apologies for not making it clear in the newsletter that the subscriptions that De Gruyter proposes to consider when adopting this model are individual subscriptions. Institutional subscriptions are not considered part of the relevant subscriber count, at least in their initial proposal. We can, of course, raise this issue with them. (ALT does not have access to any details on De Gruyter revenue from Linguistic Typology, by the way.) De Gruyter’s general page on S2O is here: https://www.degruyter.com/publishing/publications/openaccess/open-access-articles/subscribe-open.

2. The implementation of the model: The initial proposal from De Gruyter is to use the S2O model to tie a specific number of individual subscriptions to each new Open Access article. So, the more individual subscribers Linguistic Typology has, the more articles could become Open Access. One reason for this model is a number of articles in Linguistic Typology have already been Open Access in recent years in connection with the author’s ability to pay or various existing institutional agreements (or some combination of the two). The idea would be to use S2O to help the journal transition to full Open Access.

3. Why shift to OA? An ALT member asked in private correspondence why ALT wants to shift Linguistic Typology to an Open Access model. They were not questioning the value of this, but, rather, whether the reasons for this had been articulated. I do not recall that this has been specifically articulated for Linguistic Typology. Rather, the idea of shifting to OA is part of the general trend of making as much scholarship open as possible, as envisioned by, for example, Plan S (https://www.coalition-s.org/). It seems reasonable to consider whether ALT may want to articulate a specific justification for Open Access in the context of the study of typology, though this is not within the current purview of the ad hoc committee on Open Access. This committee has focused more on how to transition to Open Access rather than why to do this.

4. Is S2O in effect a kind of “donation-based” model? The same ALT member asked whether S2O can be seen as a kind of donation-based model. In particular, whether scholars with greater financial resources (e.g., tenured faculty) would be purchasing subscriptions to Linguistic Typology to help support Open Access for all papers in the journal. This does seem like a reasonable interpretation of the model to me. What is a bit unusual about it is working out who would benefit from these donations. Clearly, scholars from countries with fewer financial resources would benefit, and I imagine the membership would be broadly in support of this. At the same time, from a global perspective, different university systems are at very different places with respect to devising general Open Access agreements with publishers, and different national funding bodies also have different expectations in this regard. So, this model could end up benefiting scholars in relatively wealthy countries where institutions are not yet doing much to support Open Access fees. (This would include my own institution, for example.) This is one of many complications during this transitional period for Open Access.

5. Will a shift to S2O affect the editorial process at Linguistic Typology? The above ALT member also asked whether a transition to Open Access could impact the editorial and reviewing process at Linguistic Typology. This is a concern, in part, because some Open Access journals where authors pay do seem to have a greater bias towards fast acceptance than other journals. While I cannot speak for the Editor or Editorial Board of Linguistic Typology, I can say that I have seen absolutely no indication that a transition to Open Access will impact the editorial process at Linguistic Typology. Moreover, if anything, an S2O model should make the journal less susceptible to a need to accept papers in order to be sustainable since its funding will come from stable subscriptions rather than from authors.

Finally, one area where I think feedback would be especially helpful at this stage would be to know whether the membership is generally interested in pursuing the S2O model in some form. If so, then ALT could work out a detailed proposal with De Gruyter for consideration by the membership. If not, then the Association can see if it can devise other models to shift Linguistic Typology to full Open Access.

I hope this information is helpful, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Best,
Jeff