[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Sat Dec 10 19:11:11 UTC 2022

Randy, I certainly agree with the thrust of your argument. However, here
as elsewhere, there are degrees. Grammaticalization is 'formalization',
subjection to rules of grammar. The lower the grammatical level (the
level of complexity), the more rigid the rules. It seems to me that
there are straightforward grammaticality judgements at the lowest level,
viz. the level of inflectional morphology. If an informant tells me that
one does not say /goed/, but instead /went/, this is not a question of
being able to think up a situation of use, but just a report on the
linguistic experience of one's lifetime.

But again, I fully agree as far as judgements at higher levels of
complexity are concerned.
--

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4