[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

Neil Myler myler at bu.edu
Sun Dec 11 03:20:18 UTC 2022

I agree with everything here, with one addendum: it's a strawman even if
you do ignore more formal judgment experiments.  The examples are invented,
but each data point is a *pairing* of an example and a judgment. Since the
judgments aren't invented (except in cases of misconduct), it's wrong to
say that the data are.
Neil