[Lingtyp] spectrograms in linguistic description and for language comparison

Juergen Bohnemeyer jb77 at buffalo.edu
Sun Dec 18 04:49:23 UTC 2022

Dear all ¨C Matthew¡¯s post made me think of a possible interpretation of Randy¡¯s point about induction where previously there was none in my mind, i.e., I failed to understand why Randi was invoking induction and AI. Now, on the off chance that that interpretation is ballpark correct, I¡¯d like to add the following to Matthew¡¯s response:

Computational linguists are currently very much debating, and empirically researching, how much neural networks really know about language. This is not merely a matter of how this knowledge is represented ¨C i.e., in the form of probability vectors instead of rules. Rather, it appears that this knowledge is often rather superficial. Transformers are easily thrown into making mistakes that human speakers, and even human learners, don¡¯t make. See for example here, and works cited therein:

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~rchaves/lookatthat.pdf

Note this work is not at all coming from a rationalist/innatist bent. Rather, the point is that it seems premature to consider contemporary deep learning networks adequate representations of human linguistic knowledge. I¡¯m persuaded that we may eventually (and perhaps sooner rather than later) see the evolution of artificial systems that are able to acquire such knowledge. But we don¡¯t yet seem to be able to predict how exactly such systems will work.

I¡¯m willing to bet that they will rely on statistical learning, mind you. As do we humans. If this is where Randy was going by invoking induction, we are not in disagreement up to that point.

However, it seems to me that once artificial systems have evolved to the point where they can no longer be tricked into non-human-like generalizations by manipulations such as those used in the Chaves & Richter paper, their linguistic knowledge may well be adequately described in terms of traditional grammar rules, even if this knowledge is not actually internally represented in such rules. Except perhaps those will be rules that are stated in probabilistic rather than categorical form. Which may be a format linguists and psychologists will one day also apply to the description of human linguistic knowledge.

Best -- Juergen

Juergen Bohnemeyer (He/Him)
Professor, Department of Linguistics
University at Buffalo

Office: 642 Baldy Hall, UB North Campus
Mailing address: 609 Baldy Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260
Phone: (716) 645 0127
Fax: (716) 645 3825
Email: jb77 at buffalo.edu<mailto:jb77 at buffalo.edu>
Web: http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jb77/

Office hours Tu/Th 3:30-4:30pm in 642 Baldy or via Zoom (Meeting ID 585 520 2411; Passcode Hoorheh)

There¡¯s A Crack In Everything - That¡¯s How The Light Gets In
(Leonard Cohen)