[Lingtyp] Utterance boundaries as a universal concept?

Ian Joo I.Joo at tilburguniversity.edu
Sun Dec 18 04:55:00 UTC 2022

Dear John,

thank you for pointing that out.
Could you please give us the full reference of the works you mentioned? (Himmelmann & Troiani; Toiani & Du Bois; Lai & Du Bois; Degand et al.)
We would much appreciate it.

Regards,
Ian

16/12/2022 오전 1:34, John DuBois <dubois at ucsb.edu> 작성:

I agree with David that "utterance" is far from a trivial unit to reliably identify from continuous discourse.

Far more reliable is the intonation unit. Intonation unit boundaries are universally and reliably recognizable based on prosodic cues alone, even in a language you don't know. See Himmelmann, and Troiani.) Intonation units thus have a well-defined beginning, middle, and end (unlike the other units).

New work by Giorgia Toiani and myself on Kazakh presents a solid methodology for confirming inter-transcriber reliability for intonation units.

Further, new work by Ryan Ka Yau Lai and myself on English shows in detail what it means for a word to be initial, medial or final in the intonation unit. (We'll present this next month at LSA.) This has consequences for typological concepts like so-called "sentence-final particle", some of which are probably actually intonation-unit-final.

We are also developing a prosodic operationalization of the utterance, based on a sequence of 1 or more intonation units.

In addition to the very interesting work by Kibrik and colleagues on basic discourse units, there is equally interesting work along the same lines by Liesbeth Degand and her students. These 2 initiatives are closer to operationalizing something like "utterance" in a meaningful way. Still, it's not clear if the reliability of these units can reach the level of the intonation unit, nor of the prosodically-defined utterance.
Best,
John

John W. Du Bois
Professor of Linguistics