[Lingtyp] Someone whose father ...

Adam James Ross Tallman ajrtallman at utexas.edu
Wed Feb 16 10:36:51 UTC 2022

Hey Simone,

My first question is what does "Someone to whom a child has died" mean?
(its not a grammatical or obviously interpretable utterance for me). Or are
you just looking for languages with equivalents to the words *widower *and
*orphan*. Perhaps clarify with a kinship tree :)

best,

Adam

On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 11:27 AM Raffaele Simone <rsimone at os.uniroma3.it>
wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> words like *widower *and *orphan *imply a complex web of relationships.
> An orphan is someone whose father or mother has died; a widower is someone
> whose wife or husband has died.
>
> Do you know any language in which there are words that mean "someone to
> whom a child has died", "someone to whom a brother or sister has died" etc.?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R Simone
>
> --
> Emeritus Professor, Università Roma Tre
> Hon C Lund University
> Membre de l'Académie Royale de Belgique
> Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres de France
> Accademico della Crusca

Adam J.R. Tallman
Post-doctoral Researcher
Friedrich Schiller Universität