[Lingtyp] query: instrument voice

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Feb 22 02:53:36 UTC 2022

Mark,

Thanks for the Tzutujil example, which is indeed quite similar to the
New Guinea constructions I have been looking at.

However, I remain unconvinced with regard to its characterization as an
applicative, though to a certain degree this is a mere terminological
question.  Prototypically, applicatives promote to direct objects while
passive voices (such as instrumental) promote to subjects — so, for any
given construction, the question is whether the relevant argument, here
the instrumental one, is more direct-object-like or more subject-like.

This begins to remind me of the seemingly endless ongoing debates over
whether Philippine voice constructions are "really" passives or perhaps
something else, the question generally boiling down to whether the
relevant argument is more like a subject or more like a topic.
Personally, I don't find these debates very productive, and I'm not sure
how useful an analogous debate between applicative and
instrumental-voice labels would prove to be in this case.

What's important is to have a clear description of the facts, and how
the constructions in question differ from prototypical applicatives and
from prototypical instrumental voice constructions — with the proviso
that there are perhaps not sufficiently many of the latter to construct
a clear notion of what is prototypical.

David

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de