[Lingtyp] query: instrument voice

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Tue Feb 22 11:40:25 UTC 2022

Dyirbal and Yidiny (both Australian languages) have verbal affixes that
indicate an instrument is promoted to pivot (normally S/P) which can then
be anaphoric zero in clause linkage (co-ordination and the equivalent of
relativisation). There is no agreement. The same is true in Balinese and
some dialects of Sasak (both Austronesian). So, an addition to your
definitions of applicative needs to be promotion to pivot rather than
'object'.

Best
Peter