[Lingtyp] Locative-comitative homophony

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:53:05 UTC 2022

Hi Yi-Yang,

Stolz et al. (2006:38) write: "Syncretism of LOCATIVE and INSTRUMENT is
especially frequent, whereas the COMITATIVE partakes in syncretism patterns
involving LOCATIVE only if it has the same encoding as the INSTRUMENT
(Stolz 2001a)."

Stolz, Thomas, Cornelia Stroh & Aina Urdze. 2006. On comitatives and
related categories: a typological study with special focus on the languages
of Europe. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter. https://doi.org/10.1515/9783110197648

The other paper cited there looks relevant:
Stolz, Thomas. 2001a. To be with X is to have X: comitatives,
instrumentals, locative, and predicative possession. Linguistics 39 (2):
321-350. https://doi.org/10.1515/ling.2001.013

I hope that's helpful!
Daniel