[Lingtyp] query: instrument voice

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 22 19:20:12 UTC 2022

David,

Preverbal position in an SVO language seems to me to be a very weak factor as a subject property. There are two additional overlapping considerations that would normally be considered relevant. First, is the noun phrase in question in the same preverbal position as subjects? And second, does the S/A lack subject properties that it normally has.

Without these two additional considerations, it would seem that one would have to say that what in English What is John eating? is subject-like, since it is a preverbal constituent in an SVO language. But it does not occur in the same preverbal position as subjects and the subject does not lack its normal subject properties. The same could be said about rice in It is rice that John is eating.

You ask why some of us are talking about applicatives in their responses. One reason is that you cite Hatam, Sougb, Moskona, and Meyah as instances of what you are characterizing as constructions like Philippine instrumental voice. But these seem much more like canonical applicatives and quite unlike Philippine instrumental voice.

In the following example from Hatam, for example,

Ni-ba
tom
ni-bi-bui
wou.
1EXC-use
stick
1EXC-INS-hit
snake

We used a stick to hit the snake. (Reesink 1999: 54)

the fact that tom 'stick' precedes the verb for 'hit' is presumably best explained in terms of its being the complement of ba 'use' and there is no evidence that the A of 'hit' lacks any normal subject properties. This is very different from instrumental voice in Philippine languages.

Matthew