[Lingtyp] query: instrument voice

Matthew Dryer dryer at buffalo.edu
Tue Feb 22 21:03:21 UTC 2022

David,

Part of the problem is that your original query did not specify in detail what exactly it is that characterizes these constructions, what it is that you think that they share that is crosslinguistically unusual. Your email only characterized the constructions as similar to Philippine-type instrumental voice and consulting sources on some of the non-Austronesian languages you mentioned, what I found was more like an applicative than a Philippine-type instrumental voice. Your original email seemed to be asking for other examples of Philippine-type instrumental voice, but it is now clear that what you are looking for is a constellation of features that may be an areal feature of the Bird's Head and adjacent areas and it is only in your latest email that it begins to emerge what that constellation of features is.

But I acknowledge that the Hatam construction and others like it are definitely not prototypical applicative constructions, precisely because they involve a type of serial verb construction. From where I am sitting, what seems unusual about the construction is that it involves a combination of a serial verb construction with an applicative construction, without much similarity to Philippine-type instrumental voice. But if your interest in finding out if there are other languages with similar constructions, the issue of whether it is similar to Philippine-type instrumental voice seems irrelevant.

Perhaps if you spelled out more clearly what the constellation of features is that you see as characterizing the construction, people might be able identify other cases. My hunch is that what you are looking for is rare outside your area if it exists at all.

Matthew