[Lingtyp] Approximative numerals with emotive content

Rikker Dockum rikker.dockum at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 00:16:01 UTC 2022

A few from Thai:

ล้านเจ็ด สิบเอดแสน
/lá:n-cèt sìp-èt sɛ̌:n/
million-seven eleven hundred.thousand
"1.7 million, 11-hundred thousand"
A hyperbolically large number which comically violates typical large number
syntax. It is also a four-syllable elaborate expression
<https://escholarship.org/content/qt1h44v99w/qt1h44v99w_noSplash_885797339065fc34897d1147e04c23dc.pdf?t=pfpo99>
with internal-rhyme in an A B B C pattern of of /cet/ and /et/. (Note that
in Thai these can have an optional unstressed fifth syllable in the center,
as is the case here: /sìp/ is not stressed in /sìp-èt/.)

ร้อยแปด
/rɔ́:j pɛ̀:t/
hundred eight
lit. "a hundred and eight", corresponding roughly to "umpteen". Usage
varies between hyperbole and more neutral/literal usage, but it's probably
most frequently used in the hyperbolic sense. It's a reference to the sacred
number 108
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_(number)#Religion_and_the_arts> in
Dharmic religions. (Thailand even has a convenience store chain 108 Shop
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/108_Shop>, so named presumably because they
sell everything.)

ร้อยแปดพันก้าว
/rɔ́:j pɛ̀:t pʰan kâ:w/
hundred eight thousand nine
"a hundred and eight, a thousand and nine" meaning "umpteen", an elaborated
version of the previous one!

Best,
Rikker