[Lingtyp] Correlative clauses in Dravidian ('which-time..............that-time')

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Thu Jan 13 17:53:50 UTC 2022

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you well.

I have been looking at many sources of Dravidian languages because I am
exploring whether speakers of these languages express 'when' relations by
means of a correlative pattern (e.g. 'which-time..............that-time').
The only language I came across with this pattern is Tamil. This language
has a correlative construction, where the correlative clause appears with
the generic temporal noun meaning 'time'  and the correlate clause occurs
with the same generic temporal noun  (Lehmann 1993: 351).

Note that many Dravidian sources provide descriptions of other types of
correlative patterns (e.g. 'which-place......that-place';
'which-way........that-way'). However, besides Tamil, I have not come
across any sources providing a description of the temporal correlative pattern
(e.g. 'which-time..............that-time').

Any sources will be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
--
Jesús Olguín Martínez
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics