[Lingtyp] languages lacking a verb for 'give'

Russell Barlow russell_barlow at eva.mpg.de
Thu Jan 27 05:35:23 UTC 2022

Dear Matthew, all,

I describe 'give' events in Ulwa (Papua New Guinea) a bit (Barlow 2018: 285-289). They are encoded with two verbs, one meaning 'take', the other meaning, well, 'give' (?) (I can't say 'present', as in your example "I presented the book (to him) and he took it", since the object of the second verb is a Recipient, not a Theme). I think 'give' constructions as are found in Ulwa occur fairly commonly in Papuan languages, although, as Daniel points out, they're hard to spot, since almost invariably the grammar writer glosses one of the verbs as 'give'.

So Ulwa, like Akan (?) in Daniel's example, uses two verbs for 'give' events. Also as in that example, the object of one verb is a Theme, while the object of the other verb is a Recipient. If your colleague is specifically looking for constructions where *both* verbs take (only) a Theme argument, then I don't know of any such languages offhand. I, too, would be very interested in seeing some examples of that!

Best,
Russell

Barlow, Russell. 2018. A grammar of Ulwa. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Hawai'i at Mānoa; xiv+546pp.)

Russell Barlow
Postdoctoral Researcher
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
russell_barlow at eva.mpg.de