[Lingtyp] Are there (can there be?) more than two modalities?

Riccardo Giomi rgiomi at campus.ul.pt
Sun Jan 30 17:48:29 UTC 2022

Right, drummed languages! I had completely forgotten about those..

Come to think of it, I think drummed languages fit quite well, logically,
in the top-right corner of the tentative taxonomy I came up with in my
earlier message. But then of course it is no longer accurate to speak of a
'graphic' linguistic mode. Perhaps a more useful term for the mode
opposition, rather than "verbal / graphic", could be "unsupported /
supported" -- meaning (not) using a concrete, tangible support besides the
human body itself. So, reformulating the taxonomy (for what it's worth) and
of course with no prejudice to multi-channel communication, we would have

*↓Sensory channel / Mode→*

*Unsopported*

*Supported*

*Acoustic*

Speaking, Whistling, others?

Drumming

*Visual*

Signing

Writing, Sign writing

*Tactile*

Pro-tactile signing

Braille

I am not sure how useful this can be, and as I mentioned earlier, this is
not really a taxonomy of modalities as such.. But, to me, it is always kind
of fun to try and decompose things into features :)

Best wishes,

Jess Tauber <tetrahedralpt at gmail.com> escreveu no dia sexta, 28/01/2022
à(s) 18:12: