[Lingtyp] Phonological differences of alienable vs. inalienable possession

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 13:30:32 UTC 2022

In Yahgan (genetic isolate, Tierra del Fuego) alienable possession is
usually done with a possessive pronoun (such as hau 'our') before the
possessed NP, for example hau' vkvhr 'our house' (apostrophe to separate
vowel-final and vowel-initial forms, v schwa, hr trilled voiceless variant
of alveolar stops found in syllable-final position), whereas inalienable
possession is via suffixes- with -nchi after the possessor, and -n
(generally locative) after the possessed NP (for example Godnchi Makun 'the
Son of God').

Jess Tauber