[Lingtyp] semantic role of participant that needs something

Volker Gast volker.gast at uni-jena.de
Sat Jul 2 10:00:38 UTC 2022

Hi Sebastian,
'need' is primarily a modal, of course. The question is whether 'I need
a bike' means 'I need to have a bike' or something else. I suppose
that's an empirical question. As I wrote in my other mail, 'I need a
computer' seems to have different truth conditions from 'I need to have
a computer', but I'm not sure about this. It would also make sense to
look into the distribution of these elements relative to different types
of polarity contexts, for instance:

(1) Few students need a computer. (sounds fine to my non-native ears)

(2) Few students need to have a computer. (no idea how good or bad that
is, and whether it's equivalent to [1])

If 'need NP' has a different distribution from 'need to HAVE NP', that
could point to different scope relations between the modal component and
the semantic role. I (obviously) haven't thought this through, however.

Best,
Volker