[Lingtyp] Stress/syllable/mora-timed languages

Ian Maddieson ianm at berkeley.edu
Mon Jul 4 16:34:04 UTC 2022

A better question to ask is whether this classification has any meaning. Numerous efforts to look
for measurable properties correlating with the alleged categories have failed to find anything at
all reliable. Different studies result in quite different groupings of the same languages.

> On Jul 4, 2022, at 10:26, Volker Gast <volker.gast at uni-jena.de> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> A friend has asked me if there is any way of determining how many languages in the world are stress/syllable/mora-timed.
>
> Is there a database with this information? Has anybody looked into this question?
>
> Best,
> Volker

Ian Maddieson

Department of Linguistics