[Lingtyp] Literature on phonological distance between languages
JOO, Ian [Student]
ian.joo at connect.polyu.hk
Sun Jul 31 16:20:51 UTC 2022
I would appreciate it if you could point to me any literature on phonological distance between the phonological systems of multiple languages.
I do not refer to:
* Distance between phonological segments (for example, the distance between English father and German Vater)
* Dialectometry (for example, the distance between British English and American English, based on how the two dialects pronounce the same words)
I only refer to:
* Distance between the phonology of two languages (for example, the distance between English phonology and Japanese phonology, in terms of its phonemic inventory, phonotactic rules, allophones, segmental frequency, etc.)
So far I have only found the following works:
* Afendras, E. A. (1970). “Quantitative distinctive feature typologies and a demonstration of areal convergence”. In: ITL-International Journal of Applied Linguistics 9.1, pp. 49–81. DOI: 10.1075/itl.9.05afe.
* Avram, Andrei (1964). “Sur la typologie phonologique quantitative”. In: Revue roumaine de Linguistique IX, pp. 131–134.
* Eden, S. Elizabeth (2018). “Measuring phonological distance between languages”. PhD thesis. University College London.
* Kučera, Henry and George K Monroe (1968). A comparative quantitative phonology of Russian, Czech, and German. 4. New York: American Elsevier Publishing Company.
* Macklin-Cordes, Jayden L, Claire Bowern, and Erich R Round (2021). “Phylogenetic signal in phonotactics”. In: Diachronica 38.2, pp. 210–258.
* Nikolaev, Dmitry (2019). “Areal dependency of consonant inventories”. In: Language Dynamics and Change 9.1, pp. 104–126.
* Postovalova Постовалова, V. I. В. И. (1966). “O sočetajemosti differencial’nyx priznakov soglasnyx fenomen sovremennogo russkogo jazyka О сочетаемости дифференциальных признаков согласных фонем современного русского языка [On the compatibility of the differential features of consonantal phonemes of contemporary Russian]”. In: Problemy lingvističeskogo analiza: Fonologija, grammatika, leksikologija Проблемы лингвистического анализа: Фонология, грамматика, лексикология [Problems of linguistic analysis:Phonology, grammar, lexicology]. Ed. by E. A. Э. А. Makajev Макаев. Moscow Москва: Nauka Наука, pp. 34–46.
Please let me know if you are aware of any other works measuring this type of phonological distance.
From Hong Kong,
This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and notify the sender and The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (the University) immediately. Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
The University specifically denies any responsibility for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through University E-mail Facilities. Any views and opinions expressed are only those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent those of the University and the University accepts no liability whatsoever for any losses or damages incurred or caused to any party as a result of the use of such information.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Lingtyp