[Lingtyp] IF and WHEN in the future

Joey Lovestrand joeylovestrand at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 23:16:48 UTC 2022

Hi Sergey - As others could attest, the same morpheme used in clauses that
might be translated either 'if' or 'when' is common in African languages.
For example, in an introduction to a volume on conditional clauses in
African languages, Nicolle (2017:8)
<https://journals.flvc.org/sal/article/view/107239/102560> writes: "The use
of the same construction to indicate conditionality and (relative) time
(if/when clauses) is very common in African languages, and is found in the
majority of the languages discussed in this volume." There is no need to
grammaticalize the speaker's degree of certainty about these
hypothetical events.

Joey

--
Joseph Lovestrand