[Lingtyp] types of quantification

Martin Haspelmath martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de
Fri Mar 4 16:25:35 UTC 2022

Thanks, Juergen, for this perspective on quantifiers – which doesn't
conflict at all with what I said.

Notice that I talked about definitions of terms (especially
"quantifier"), not about "analyses" or "theoretical innovations". I see
terminology as part of our methodology, and I have been suggesting that
we might treat our grammatical terms somewhat like IPA characters (which
are part of our common toolkit, or "meme pool", without having any
theoretical status).

Outside of the formal semantics community, everyone thinks that "many"
and "all" are typical quantifiers, and (it seems) a clear majority think
that "two" is a quantifier. But no linguist who lacks special
logical-semantic training thinks that all or most of the following are
"quantifiers":

/everything, nothing, three books, the ten professors, John, John and
Mary, only John, firemen, every, at least five, most, all but ten, less
than half of the, John’s, some student’s, no…except Mary, more male than
female, usually, never, each other/ (see
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/generalized-quantifiers/)

It's an interesting question how to analyze all of these, but the
analyses may be different for different languages, and the questions are
surely not settled. But just as phonologists of diverse orientations are
able to agree on the IPA, we can perhaps discuss our terminology without
necessarily getting into the details of formal analyses.

I had understood Christian Lehmann as asking for advice on the
terminology, as he is writing a grammar and wants to use terms that are
as clear and standard as possible.

Best,
Martin

Am 04.03.22 um 17:02 schrieb Juergen Bohnemeyer:
> [...]
>
> And I would argue that the GQ analysis meets that bar.
>
> Last point: on the topic of the relation between (ad)nominal and adverbial quantification, a recent formally couched but typologically insightful handbook piece is Hinterwimmer (2020).
>
> Best — Juergen
>
> Barwise, Jon and Robin Cooper, 1981, “Generalized Quantifiers and Natural Language”, Linguistics and Philosophy, 4(2): 159–219. doi:10.1007/BF00350139
> Hinterwimmer, S. (2020). Nominal vs. adverbial quantification. In D. Gutzmann, L. Matthewson, C. Meier, H. Rullmann, and T. Zimmermann (Eds.), The Wiley Blackwell Companion to Semantics.
>

>> On Mar 4, 2022, at 9:24 AM, Martin Haspelmath<martin_haspelmath at eva.mpg.de>  wrote:
>>
>> There are of course various ways in which "quantifier" can be defined and in which one could set up subgroups.
>>
>> For general-comparative linguistics, it's probably not so useful to have a logic-based "(generalized) quantifier" concept where most (or many) NPs are quantifiers. I think we want to have primarily these two types of quantifiers:
>>
>> – adnominal quantifiers (many, all, two, etc.)
>> – adverbial quantifiers (often, always, twice, etc.)
>>
>> And if we want to follow (or take into account) earlier authoritative terminology, then I would take inspiration from these three works:
>>
>> Gil, David. 2001. Quantifiers. In Haspelmath, Martin & König, Ekkehard & Oesterreicher, Wulf & Raible, Wolfgang (eds.), Language typology and language universals: An international handbook (Volume 2), 1275–1294. Berlin: de Gruyter.
>> Keenan, Edward L. & Paperno, Denis (eds.). 2012. Handbook of quantifiers in natural language. Dordrecht: Springer.
>> Paperno, Denis & Keenan, Edward L. (eds.). 2017. Handbook of quantifiers in natural language: Volume II. Cham: Springer.
>>
>> I find Gil's paper particularly accessible and sensitive to what the languages around the world do. The handbooks edited by Keenan and Paperno give rich exemplification, but the terminology of the general papers is strongly inspired by the logic-based tradition and thus not so transparent for ordinary working linguists.
>>
>> Incidentally, I did a Twitter poll last year on whether cardinal numerals are considered a subtype on quantifiers, and two thirds thought so:https://twitter.com/haspelmath/status/1429061465332457478
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin
>>
>> Am 04.03.22 um 14:00 schrieb Östen Dahl:
>>> I think the answer to the question depends on what you want your general-comparative linguistic semantics to look like, in particular on how much you want it to reflect how quantifiers are grouped in individual languages.

>>> Rudolfstr. 4
>>> 99092 Erfurt
>>> Deutschland
>>>
>>> Tel.:
>>> +49/361/2113417
>>> E-Post:
>>> christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
>>> Web:
>>> https://www.christianlehmann.eu
>>>
>>> --
>>> Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
>>> Rudolfstr. 4
>>> 99092 Erfurt
>>> Deutschland
>>>
>>> Tel.:
>>> +49/361/2113417
>>> E-Post:
>>> christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
>>> Web:
>>> https://www.christianlehmann.eu

>> --
>> Martin Haspelmath
>> Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology
>> Deutscher Platz 6
>> D-04103 Leipzig
>>
>> https://www.eva.mpg.de/linguistic-and-cultural-evolution/staff/martin-haspelmath/

Martin Haspelmath