[Lingtyp] types of quantification

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Sun Mar 6 10:47:13 UTC 2022

Thank you for your contributions. Just a few remarks:

The web page recommended by Alexandre Rademaker:

> https://github.com/UniversalDependencies/docs/issues/786

is indeed interesting. Although confined to English, it shows that most
of the items one might consider subsuming under 'quantifier' differ in
their distribution; i.o.w., there are almost as many distribution
classes as "quantifiers". Such a result of a distributional analysis
probably depends on the amount and variety of data that can be obtained
for a language. If you invest a limited amount of energy into the
description of a (minority) language, you probably get fewer
distribution classes.

In Cabecar (as in several other languages I am aware of), indefinite
proforms are derived from interrogative proforms by some morphological
or phonological modification. This produces words meaning 'someone,
something, somehow, ...'. Such forms usually differ from quantifiers
s.s. like 'all' and 'many' already in their morphology, and also often
in their distribution. In Cabecar, too, some indefinite proforms (like
'somewhich') may be used as determiners, while quantifiers s.s. have the
distribution of adjectives.

It should also be clear that there is, in linguistic structure, no
simple relation between the word class of the quantifying element and
the category of the entity being quantified. In some languages, 'many',
'several' etc. are verbs. In SAE languages, quantification relating to a
nominal expression (e.g. in subject position) may be coded by adverbial
expressions like /unanimously/ or German /mehrheitlich/ 'by a majority'.
Etc.

This being said, I confirm that Martin understood my concern: to
reasonably structure (in terms of linguistic semantics) a (functionally
based!) chapter on quantification. Among the many useful hints I
obtained from the discussion, one continues to vex me: It is true that
'times' may be quantified (e.g. in English /sometimes/) similarly to
things and persons. Does this mean that there is a unified _linguistic_
concept of quantification which includes events/situations (whichever
you prefer)? Some of us subsume notions like 'intensification',
'attenuation', 'partial completion' etc. under quantification. Are there
arguments from linguistic structure to conclude that this is
quantification (of some kind of entity) in the same sense as /some of
her children became professors/ involves quantification (in the
descriptive tradition of the last two and a half millennia )?

E-Post: 	christianw_lehmann at arcor.de
Web: 	https://www.christianlehmann.eu