[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

NAIM Samia samia.naim at cnrs.fr
Wed Mar 16 12:53:55 UTC 2022

Dear Raffaele,

In a number of oriental Arabic dialects one finds ʔæħħæ « cough » and ʔæħħ / jʔɨħħ « to cough ».

The sound of coughing is ʔǝħħ (slightly different from the sound of feeling cold ʔaħħ).

The verbal form is attested  in standard Arabic : ʔæħħæ  أحّ

Note that it is quite possible that this form is an onomatopoeia since it is the only item attested under this same root.
But that’s just a guess
Best
Samia