[Lingtyp] terms for days after tomorrow

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:03:09 UTC 2022

Dear Samira,

Time ordinals for days and years are very elaborate in Kiranti and
Rgyalrongic languages, with terms for up to four days before and six
days after the day of reference. See the following article "Suffix-runs and
counters in Kiranti time-ordinals" by Boyd Michailovsky:

3 (cnrs.fr) <https://lacito.cnrs.fr/documents/publi/KIRANTI_TIME.pdf>

I discuss the paradigms of time ordinals in Japhug on pp. 281-287 of my
Japhug grammar A grammar of Japhug | Language Science Press
(langsci-press.org) <https://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/295>

Guillaume

Le sam. 19 mars 2022 à 08:49, Samira Verhees <jh.verhees at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Dear Lingtyp list,
>
> A student of mine is collecting data on lexemes denoting consecutive days
> after tomorrow in East Caucasian (and neighboring) languages, and we were
> wondering if anyone here knows of any typological research that discusses
> the encoding of this concept (or perhaps more broadly systems of naming
> days and their diachronic development), or any language-specific work that
> explores such terms in some detail.
>
> In some East Caucasian languages, there are unique, non-compositional
> terms for the day after tomorrow, the day after the day after tomorrow, for
> up to 6 days after tomorrow. We have been able to find some languages that
> also have a non-compositional term for the day after the day after
> tomorrow, for example, but we can't seem to find anything more elaborate
> than examples on internet fora or short sentences in reference grammars.
>

> Best,
>
> Samira Verhees

Guillaume Jacques

Directeur de recherches