[Lingtyp] metaphor theory / cognitive grammar explanations for verb and noun argument symmetries

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 03:48:00 UTC 2022

Thanks, everyone, for an interesting discussion. My reply here may not be
very insightful, certainly not especially theoretical, but I wanted to
share it anyway.

I remember this coming up when I took a Quechua class, and at the time I
felt like it simply made sense, e.g. from the perspective of formal
features: 1SG (for example) is the same in two locations, which seems both
convenient for the language learner, and also efficient in terms of
grammatical organization.

But yes, it's a bit of a leap from that abstract perspective (that the
person features would by default be realized in different places
identically, and that's certainly not the case in general across languages).

So I wonder if this isn't just a simple explanation via grammaticalization:
subject pronouns are often juxtaposed with verbs, and similarly (though
perhaps less often, or with some other marker, e.g. case) posessors may be
juxtaposed with posessees. The shared forms are a historical accident. And
perhaps with a little analogy between them (from the perspective of
grammatical consistency, along the lines of formal features), the
correspondence (including reduction corresponding to morphologization)
would be maintained.

Cognitive explanations are ultimately diachronic, either that certain usage
is more frequent and grammaticalizes, or because certain grammaticalized
usage is maintained through continued usage. Here in both cases the
identity in some languages would seem to be explained without need for
cognitive principles, beyond simply having the same forms in both contexts
being somewhat convenient.

(As for explaining why they sometimes differ, it would simply be because
they came from different syntactic sources. We also can find examples
within either domain that are split, such as the prefixing vs. suffixing
conjugation patterns in Semitic languages that have distinct, although
somewhat overlapping, forms, presumably all grammaticalized from pronouns,
but at different diachronic stages and in different positions.)

Daniel