[Lingtyp] Conscious choice of linguistic examples

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Tue Mar 22 09:36:04 UTC 2022

On 3/22/22 09:18, Maia Ponsonnet wrote:
> Hello,
>
> But this precisely assumes that "John" and "Mary" are unmarked first names.

Yes, that's the assumption, and that assumption is empirically
warranted. If you have read the last 50 years of linguistic literature,
your assumption, all else being equal, will be that in a new example
with one referent, that referent will be "John", and if there are two,
they will be "John" and "Mary".
If you have read the last 50 years of cryptographic literature, it will
be Alice, Bob, and Eve.

To be clear, I am not advocating that this is a particularly desirable
state of affairs. I just want to point out that "minimise
astonishment/variation" is a principle which can guide didactic choices
and has done so in the past. There are of course other, competing,
principles, which one could rank higher.

> Which I do not believe to be accurate anymore in the context of a
> student population in Australia for instance (speaking of what I know).
> Presuming unmarkedness implicitly postulates a certain category of
> population as a norm (including color, age, probably social class...).

> And it seems even more problematic to consider that "John hits Mary" is
> unmarked 😉.
>
> In my opinion, it is worth risking to distract readers/students ever so
> slightly to avoid perpetuating stereotypes.
> Plus distraction can be a good thing!
>
> I have found that when presenting tedious grammatical phenomena about a
> minority language, semantically rich examples can be used as our
> "window" onto speakers' personalities, lives, cultures, inclinations
> etc. It is also a way to make speakers visible as individuals, and show
> respect, as pointed out by Felicity.
>
> In teaching contexts, such rich examples often trigger background
> questions that allow to give flesh to somewhat disincarnated theories.
> This sort of distraction is a good pedagogical tool to maintain interest
> and attention. As a reader, I find this applies to the scientific
> literature as well.

I personally find "John gives Mary the book" sentences incredibly dull,
but I could see why for certain types of highly formalised intricate
syntactic argumentation you really want to minimise variation.

If I were to write intricate syntactic papers, I would probably go for
Agatha for Agents and  Pat for Patients. Maybe throw in some other names
with A... and P... (and T... and R... for other roles). To offset the
historical imbalance, I would personally not use John or any male names
for this kind of paper. John has done a lot of work in the last 50
years, he can rest a little bit and leave the floor to others.

Best wishes
Sebastian