[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Tue May 3 03:34:26 UTC 2022

I wonder whether this game relates in some way to traditional flint
knapping techniques. Minimally this involves a hunk of chippable stone
(flints, cherts, jaspers (all cryptocrystalline) or obsidian (volcanic
glass), which produces very sharp-edged shards and blades (the scissors
part), a hammer of stone or base of an antler to get things started by
percussion (the 'stone' (which gets replaced by an antler tine for finer
work via pressure-flaking)), and also a piece of leather for protecting the
outer thighs while working (the 'paper').

Jess Tauber

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>