[Lingtyp] Non-compositional words for “rock-paper-scissors"

Hartmut Haberland hartmut at ruc.dk
Wed May 4 11:25:06 UTC 2022

If nobody else has pointed this out yet, here is from the English Wikpedia:
“The name Rochambeau, sometimes spelled roshambo or ro-sham-bo and used mainly in the Western United States, is widely believed to be a reference to Count Rochambeau, who, according to a widespread legend, played the game during the American Revolutionary War. This legend is clearly untrue as all evidence points to the game first becoming known in the United States no sooner than sometime during the 1930s. It is unclear why exactly this name ended up being associated with the game, with hypotheses ranging from a slight phonetic similarity with the Japanese name jan-ken-pon to the presence of a statue of Rochambeau in a certain Washington, D.C. neighborhood.”
Hartmut