[Lingtyp] differential argument marking conditioned by modification

Daniel Ross djross3 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 15:30:59 UTC 2022

Dear Dejan,

In the broadest sense of differential morphosyntax for objects, one thing
that comes to mind is object incorporation in polysynthetic languages,
where I believe this is typical only of bare noun forms without
modification (and especially where those verb+noun combinations are
culturally typical). That isn't differential object marking in a
traditional sense (and I think typically optional and stylistic, even for
unmodified nouns), but it is a case of objects being expressed differently.
I don't believe that incorporation is considered a typical feature of
Yukaghir languages, but it is a feature of some neighbors, so one possible
explanation for this feature might be contact? Could one the non-modified
form of this be considered less typologically marked, almost as some kind
of promotion? Or does the modified form seem like some kind of non-default
as an exception due to being modified?

Differential object marking isn't my area of research, but my impression is
that what you describe is not typical (for example, in the Romance
languages).

Daniel