[Lingtyp] query: 1st syllable deletion

Adam Schembri a.schembri at bham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 1 09:07:13 UTC 2022

I was wondering if this is generalising across what are actually different phenomena.

(1) The first might be construction specific. I mean, I can say '(What) the fuck is going on?'. Maybe '(What) the hell is going on?', but I'm not sure. '(What) in god's name is going on?' sounds very unlikely to me.
(2) Isn't this variable auxiliary reduction/expression?
(3) Isn't this variable subject pronoun expression? There's quite a bit of research on this in variationist sociolinguistics and the factors that condition it across different languages (I have done work on this for Auslan, the majority sign language of Australia's deaf community, where it's very common). The factors that condition it are not going to be the same factors as in (1) and (2).

Adam