[Lingtyp] query: 1st syllable deletion

John DuBois dubois at ucsb.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:20:00 UTC 2022

Hi David,
Jespersen got there first -- he called it prosiopesis.
As for the initial  "the fuck" construction you saw in a movie, there's a
series called The Deuce that has this construction constantly. (Great show,
by the way.) But it didn't sound like anything I'd heard, which left me 2
mulling possibilities:
(1) There's an authentic dialect of NYC American English I don't know, or
(2) The writers encountered the construction, "The fuck you are!", and
over-generalized it in a questionable direction (dialectologically
speaking).
It would be cool if (1) was true, but I'd want to hear what those in the
know have to say.
Best,
Jack

John W. Du Bois