[Lingtyp] query: 1st syllable deletion

Ian Maddieson ianm at berkeley.edu
Tue Nov 1 17:04:33 UTC 2022

I’m struck by the fact that most of the English examples cited are truncated questions, where intonation
may signal the sentence type, so the V/S inversion is redundant. I can think of quite a few examples,
such as “Going home?”, “Making a pie?”, “Raining again?”, even “Drink?”

Ian

Ian Maddieson

Department of Linguistics
University of New Mexico