[Lingtyp] Opportunities for graduate studies in Indigenous Language Documentation and Sustainability

Antti Arppe arppe at ualberta.ca
Mon Nov 14 19:20:39 UTC 2022

[apologies for cross-postings]

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Alberta, which
celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2019, offers funded MSc and PhD
positions for prospective graduate students interested to learn and
conduct research with our vibrant team of faculty members, graduate
students, and other academics in state-of-the-art research facilities.

*The application deadline is January 15, 2023*.

In recognition of the Department’s leading position in multiple
sub-areas of linguistics, the University has made significant
investments in departmental support, including six new faculty members,
and new and expanded research laboratories and community engagement
spaces, strengthening the Department’s expertise in the study of
language (see: https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics/people), in
particular Indigenous languages and their sustainability, including

a. Documentation and fieldwork on languages of Canada, Mexico and the
US, and the Amazon (Arppe, Beck, Huijsmans, Lachler, Rosés Labrada)

b. The first and second language acquisition of North American
Indigenous languages (Lachler)

c. Indigenous language sustainability and revitalization (Huijsmans,
Lachler, Rosés Labrada)

d. Language technology and linguistic software applications for
Indigenous languages (Arppe)

e. Indigenous language lexicography (Beck, Huijsmans, Lachler, Rosés
Labrada)

f. Historical linguistics of the languages of the Americas (Beck, Rosés
Labrada)

Our research labs include the Language Documentation Research Cluster
(https://ldrc.artsrn.ualberta.ca), which has newly upgraded computing
and audio/video recording equipment for on-site and off-site data
collection and processing, and the Alberta Language Technology Lab
(https://altlab.ualberta.ca), which is engaged in the development of
computational models and various end-user software applications and
resources for several Indigenous languages spoken in North America. We
also work closely with the Alberta Phonetics Lab
(https://aphl.artsrn.ualberta.ca) and have access to a number of
sound-treated booths for high-quality audio recording. Additionally, our
students benefit from our close ties with the Canadian Indigenous
Languages and Literacy Development Institute
(https://cilldi.ualberta.ca)  and regularly gain experience working as
interns for CILLDI programs.

Accepted graduate students are provided four years of funding for the
PhD and two years of funding for the MSc in the form of TA and RA
stipends. Other support for research and conference travel, attending
and hosting disciplinary events, and obtaining tools for research is
also available. The Department offers cutting-edge training in
statistical techniques and various research methodologies. Opportunities
for within-discipline and cross-disciplinary collaboration are also
available.

For more information on the Department and the graduate admissions
process, please visit our departmental website at:
https://www.ualberta.ca/linguistics, or contact the department’s
Director of Graduate Programs, Dr. Johanne Paradis (linggrad at ualberta.ca).

Antti Arppe - Ph.D (General Linguistics), M.Sc. (Engineering)
Associate Professor of Quantitative Linguistics
Director, Alberta Language Technology Lab (ALTLab)
Project Director, 21st Century Tools for Indigenous Languages (21C)
President, ACL SIG for Endangered Languages (SIGEL)
Department of Linguistics, University of Alberta
E-mail: arppe at ualberta.ca, antti.arppe at iki.fi
WWW: www.ualberta.ca/~arppe, altlab.artsrn.ualberta.ca
Mānahtu ina rēdûti ihza ummânūti ihannaq - dulum ugulak úmun ingul