[Lingtyp] motion verbs

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 10:25:58 UTC 2022

For the past several seasons I've been working on a crosslinguistic
comparison on ideophone structure and phonoesemantics,that may relate to
the notion of motion verbs. In Japanese, for example, Shoko Hamano, in her
dissertation on ideophones in that language, discovered that in general,
the first syllable in bisyllabic ideophones dealt with the material
properties of the theme, and the second with its local spatiotemporal
context. Monosyllabic ideophones could be of either type. In my own
research I've examined ideophone from other Central Asian languages such as
Nanai (Manchu-Tungus), Korean, and a number of Mongolic languages, and have
found the same sort of functional split in longer ideophones. I've also
found similar splits in ideophones from other areas- such as Santali (North
Munda in India), and Zulu (Southern Bantu) among others. This has led me to
hypothesize that this functional dichotomy is the primitive condition,
'recapitulated' in modern languages where there are large numbers of
ideophones (nearly 1000 and up). After Johanna Nichols' book Language in
Space and Time came out, with its end-tables showing various typological
properties of different languages, I started wondering what properties, if
any, might be the ones possessed by languages with large numbers of
ideophones. I found that lowered levels of synthesis and fusion tended to
associate with such large inventories of ideophones, with the two features
working relatively independently. The more of either, the fewer ideophones
a language tended to have, other factors (such as sociolinguistic ones)
being equal.

Jess Tauber