[Lingtyp] Call for abstracts: ICLDC 8

Shelece Easterday shelece at hawaii.edu
Thu Sep 15 18:36:28 UTC 2022

(apologies for cross-posting)

******Upcoming abstract deadline: October 2, 2022******
Centering Justice in Language Work
The 8th International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation
(ICLDC 8)
Virtual Conference
March 2-5, 2023

Attention to aspects of justice as a social responsibility has been growing
in many fields in recent years. Our field should be no exception: the
reasons for language shift and loss worldwide are arguably tied to
historical and contemporary injustices and inequality. Furthermore, issues
of justice affecting speakers and language communities are not just
linguistic: a growing body of research shows that linguistic justice
intersects with justice in the environmental, health, legal, political,
economic, and educational realms.

While the inherently sociopolitical nature of language work is evident to
many practitioners, justice goals are often considered by-products that are
secondary in importance to the more traditional scholastic aims of
documentary linguistics. Therefore, we believe it is time for the field of
language documentation and conservation to develop a framework that
establishes justice as both the starting point and end goal of our work.
How might such an approach reframe the traditional pursuits of
documentation? Could it potentially invert the field’s current motivations
and methodologies, asserting language justice as the ultimate goal, and
traditional academic pursuits as an expected outcome of such work?

Our field has not yet held an international conversation on achieving
justice within language documentation and conservation, what role language
workers play in achieving justice in intersecting realms, and how justice
can critically inform, and reform, best practices in language documentation
and conservation work. We propose to make the ICLDC8 a venue for this
critical and timely conversation. Importantly, we see ICLDC8 as an
excellent opportunity for practitioners to build relationships and develop
the social infrastructure necessary for working toward a justice-driven
model of language work.

The conference program will feature Keynote presentations, Talk Story and
Workshop sessions, papers, and posters. The He ʻŌlelo Ola Hilo Field Study,
showcasing Hawaiian language K-20 immersion programs, will be integrated
into the conference schedule.

Timeline:
October 2, 2022: Proposal deadline for general papers and posters
November 1, 2022: Notification of acceptance for general papers and posters
November 1, 2022: Early registration opens
January 31, 2023: Early registration deadline; late registration opens
February 1
March 2-March 5, 2023: 8th ICLDC

Plenary Speakers:
Opening Plenary Speaker: Noenoe K. Silva (University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa)
Closing Plenary Speakers: Michal Temkin Martinez & Selda Delsooz (Boise
State University)

Executive Committee:
Andrea Berez-Kroeker, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Shelece Easterday, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Ha’alilio Williams-Solomon, University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa
Jim Yoshioka, National Foreign Language Resource Center

Support for the 2023 ICLDC is provided in part by a grant from the National
Science Foundation.

This conference is co-organized and co-sponsored by the Department of
Linguistics and the National Foreign Language Resource Center at the
University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa and the Ka Haka ’Ula O Ke’elikōlani College
of Hawaiian Language, University of Hawai’i at Hilo

International Conference on Language Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)
Phone: +1-808-956-9424
Email: icldc at hawaii.edu

Website: http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/
ICLDC Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/ICLDC/
ICLDC Twitter page: http://www.twitter.com/ICLDC_HI/

Join our ICLDC listserv:
https://listserv.hawaii.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=ICLDC-L&A=1

Shelece Easterday, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
shelece at hawaii.edu