[Lingtyp] Query: Habitual serial verb constructions

KOUWENBERG,Silvia silvia.kouwenberg at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Apr 18 15:18:59 UTC 2023

Some creole languages have a habitual derived from a verb ‘know’. A case in point is Papiamentu – see https://apics-online.info/valuesets/47-48.

From: Lingtyp [mailto:lingtyp-bounces at listserv.linguistlist.org] On Behalf Of Jess Tauber
Sent: Tuesday, 18 April 2023 8:22 am
To: Isabelle BRIL <isabelle.bril at cnrs.fr>
Cc: lingtyp at listserv.linguistlist.org; s.gregersen at isfas.uni-kiel.de
Subject: Re: [Lingtyp] Query: Habitual serial verb constructions

In Yahgan, the progressive suffix is -gaiata, which on the surface appears to have no lexical verb source. But there is a form, akaiata/age:ata, meaning to 'reach' as with a hook or boat-pole and draw the object encountered close to one. Mu:tu: (from sit sg.) has no progressive sense in this language. There is a verb ka:taka which refers to incremental approach to some goal, and it was often used suffixially (with some aspectual sense related to the lexical gloss, but not fully grammaticalized, it would seem).

Jess Tauber