[Lingtyp] argument structure

Christian Lehmann christian.lehmann at uni-erfurt.de
Tue Aug 22 15:19:52 UTC 2023

I am sure that what I am about to do here is completely inappropriate on
this list. In the interest of improving communication among us, allow me
nevertheless to use the message by Hans Götzsche as support: If you
think you need to use the (mathematical and logical) term 'argument' in
a context dealing with grammar, then please at least make it  clear
whether an argument occupies a role in semantic relationality or a
syntactic function in valency. Just one example: English /dine/ has two
semantic roles, the eater and the thing eaten (which may be called,
i.a., agent and patient). It has one dependent controlled by its
valency, taking the form of a subject and representing the eater. How
many arguments does it have?

Prof. em. Dr. Christian Lehmann
Rudolfstr. 4
99092 Erfurt