[Lingtyp] argument structure

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Aug 25 09:19:22 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Some additional data:  In my ongoing cross-linguistic Association
Experiment, I tested 4 sentences of N V N structure to see if they
permitted Pat V Ag interpretations, in (among others) three Sinitic
varieties.  (Of these 4 sentences, 2 were semantically symmetric while 2
were asymmetric.)  For each variety I tested approximately 30 subjects.
The availability of such Pat V Ag interpretations was as follows:

Mandarin (Beijing): 8%

Cantonese (HK): 7%

Mandarin (overseas Chinese, Jakarta): 18%

What these results show is that while there is a strong disfavouring of
Pat V Ag interpretations in such constructions, they are nevertheless
available.

Best,

David

On 23/08/2023 18:24, Chao Li wrote:
> Dear Randy,
>
> You have cited Y. R. Chao a few times and apparently you adopt the
> position that Chinese can be sufficiently explained with the notions
> of topic and comment. I do not think that anyone working on Chinese
> would deny the importance of the notions of topic and comment in
> describing and explaining the functioning of Chinese. Also, probably
> no one working on Chinese would deny the fact that Chinese exhibits
> flexibility in word order, as shown by the examples you cited in your
> messages. However, IF your position is that Chinese (essentially) has
> no argument structure or that word order has no place in Chinese
> grammar, Jianming (as can be seen from his earlier discussion with
> you), I, and very likely many others would think that this position is
> too extreme. Word order (and argument structure) actually has an
> important place in Chinese grammar. Otherwise, why (1) has to be
> interpreted as "the cat is/was chasing the dog" (even though in the
> real world cats are timid and it is more likely for a dog to chase a
> cat than for a cat to chase a dog), why (2b) is odd or bad
> (particularly when previous clauses in the same Chinese sentence, as
> can be viewed by clicking on the link, remain unchanged), or why 'that
> girl' in (3), not '(the) flower' or 'flowers' in the same sentence,
> has to be understood as the entity that was consumed? All the three
> examples contain a transitive verb and in spirit they are all of the
> "N-V-N’" format.
>
> (1) Māo zài                  zhuī      gǒu.
>       cat   Progressive   chase   dog
>       'The cat is/was chasing the dog.'
>
> (2) a. ... wǒ  hē-le                   nà      bēi guǒzhī.
>               I     drink-Perfective  that    cup  juice
>           '...I drank that cup of juice.'
> (https://cn.nytimes.com/style/20170209/the-stir-fried-tomatoes-and-eggs-my-chinese-mother-made/zh-hant/)
>     b. ??... nà     bēi    guǒzhī    hē-le         wǒ.
>                 that   cup   juice  drink-Perfective   I
>
> (3) Huā      chī-le                 nà      nǚhái. (name of a movie)
>      flower    eat-Perfective   that   girl
>
> Best regards,
> Chao
>

> On Tue, Aug 22, 2023 at 11:52 PM Randy LaPolla
> <randy.lapolla at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     Thanks Christian,
>     Chao’s point in using the analogy of the function in logic is just
>     to explain how the position of reference phrases in the clause is
>     not related to semantic role, as it is in English, so N-V-N’
>     (actually [Topic N]-[Comment V-N’]) can be almost any set of
>     semantic roles, depending only on contextual factors for their
>     interpretation, as long as the addressee can create a meaning from
>     it. The examples I gave are only a few of the possibilities. This
>     is also why he argued there is no passive/active distinction in
>     Chinese. It is a matter of inferring the direction of action from
>     the overall context/situation.

> [...]

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-082113720302