[Lingtyp] Free (=unexplained) morpheme ordering

Jeremy Bradley jeremy.moss.bradley at univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 13 11:11:39 UTC 2023

Dear all,

It's a fairly well-described feature of Mari (Uralic) that there is a
lot of variation in the ordering of case suffixes (Cx), possessive
suffixes (Px), and number suffixes (Nx), with multiple arrangements
oftentimes being permissible and the factors determining this
distribution being completely opaque, e.g. (examples from corpus):

a.
/joltaš-em-βlak-lan/
friend-1SG-PL-DAT
‘to my friends’
(Px-Nx-Cx)

b.
/pire-βlak-et-lan/
wolf-PL-2SG-DAT
‘to your wolves’
(Nx-Px-Cx)

c.
/joč́a-βlak-lan-že/
child-PL-DAT-3SG
‘to his/her/their.SG children’
(Nx-Cx-Px)

Jorma Luutonen gave a detailed, quantitatively based overview of this
phenomenon in his 1997 dissertation (The Variation of Morpheme Order in
Mari Declension); a student of mine recently revisited the question with
the now existing corpus infrastructures (edited by me and published at
https://doi.org/10.7557/12.6373) ... and in both cases, the surveys
didn't really succeed to find the actual factors determining this
distribution outside of a few shards of explanations (e.g. the "later"
the Px, the less likely it is that it expresses possession) here and there.

My question: does anybody else know of examples of languages with
concatenative morphology in which there are degrees of freedom like
this, with the factors determining the arrangement being (for now)
completely non-transparent? We keep saying in Uralic studies that this
makes Mari unusual (plenty of other Uralic languages have variation in
the arrangement of suffixes, but I don't know of any others having these
degrees of freedom), but I am curious how much this holds on a larger stage.

Best,
Jeremy

--
Jeremy Bradley, Ph.D.