[Lingtyp] query: cumulative songs

Pierre-Yves Modicom pymodicom.ling at yahoo.fr
Sun Feb 12 11:21:34 UTC 2023

Here is the Middle High German nursery song sometimes suspected to be a
source for /Had Gadya/:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Bauer_schickt_den_Jockel_aus
<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Bauer_schickt_den_Jockel_aus>

A farmer asks the farmboy to cut the oats, but the farmboy doesn't want.
Then the farmer asks the farmworker to summon the farmboy who doesn't
want to cut the oats, but he doesn't want, either, so he unleashes his
dog after the farmworker who doesn't want to summon the farmboy who
doesn't want to cut the oats etc etc

Interestingly and to the contrary of /Had Gadya/, in /Der Bauer schickt
den Jockel aus/, the cumulation does NOT rely on the embedding of
standard relative clauses. What we have is a series of NPs followed by
verb-second relative clauses, but these can also be analyzed as matrix
clauses with a left-dislocated subject:

Der Bauer schickt den Hund hinaus:
Er soll den Knecht beißen.
Hund, der will den Knecht nicht beißen,
Knecht, der will nicht Jockel holen,
Jockel will nicht Hafer schneiden,
will lieber zuhause bleiben.

Roughly equivalent to:

The farmer unleashes the dog:
It must bite the farmworker
Dog, he doesn't want to bite the farmworker
Farmworker, he doesn't want to summon the farmboy
Farmboy, he doesn't want to cut the oats
rather wants to stay at home.

etc.

Depending on the hypothesis on the link between the availability
recursive embedding strategies in discourse and the success of
cumulative songs, that kind of syntactic pattern may be interesting to
look after, too.

Best,

Pierre-Yves

https://minimamodalia.wordpress.com