[Lingtyp] query: cumulative songs

Johanna Mattissen Johanna.Mattissen at uni-koeln.de
Sun Feb 12 13:34:33 UTC 2023

Dear David,

multiple embedding makes me think not of a song, but of bonmots which
are intended as mockeries of the German Satzklammer.

One is attributed to Wolf Schneider:

Denken Sie, wie schön der Krieger, der die Botschaft, die den Sieg, den
die Athener bei Marathon, obwohl sie in der Minderheit waren, nach
Athen, das in großer Sorge, ob es die Perser nicht zerstören würden,
schwebte, erfochten hatten, verkündete, brachte, starb!

Roughly (without the Satzklammer)

Just imagine, in which great way the warrior died who brought the
message that announced the victory that Athens achieved at Marathon
although they were in the minority, to Athens that was in great worries
that the Persians could destroy the city.

The other one (unknown source) is:

Der Grenzpfahl, der bei der Gemeinde, in der das Gefängnis, in dem seit
gestern der gesuchte Einbrecher sitzt, liegt, steht, ist umgefallen.

The boundary marker has fallen over that is near the town where the
prison is in which the wanted burglar sits (with the predicates 'sits,
lies, stands, has fallen over' accumulated in final position).

Of course, you can easily invent further ones:
Er fuhr, nachdem er zum Abschied seine Frau, die ihn an das wichtige
Manuskript, das noch auf dem Schreibtisch, auf dem große Unordnung, die
er selbst zu verantworten hatte, herrschte, lag, erinnert hatte, geküsst
hatte, ab.

(He hit the road after kissing his wife farewell who had reminded him to
take the important manuscript with him that had still been lying on his
desk amidst a great disorder for which he himself was responsible.)

All grammatical, but you get entangled in the end. Enjoy!

Best,
Johanna

Dr. Johanna Mattissen

European Legal Linguistics

University of Cologne

www.erl.uni-koeln.de

Zeitschrift für Europäische Rechtslinguistik

(Journal for European Legal Linguistics)
https://journals.ub.uni-koeln.de/index.php/zerl