[Lingtyp] query: cumulative songs

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Mon Feb 13 13:13:09 UTC 2023

Dear all,

Thanks for all the nice examples of cumulative songs, and do please keep
them coming in.

I have already learned an important thing from the responses so far.
While cumulative songs and stories seem to be widespread around the
world, they kind of recursive syntactic embedding accompanying such
cumulation that is found in the likes of "House that Jack Built" and
"Had Gadya", seems to have a much narrower distribution, and so far no
examples have come to light from other "non-WEIRD" parts of the world.
Are there really no such cases from elsewhere?

I would like to be able to conclude that such syntactic recursion is a
characteristic feature of WEIRD languages and cultures, but am sticking
my neck out in order to invite counterexamples ...

Best,

David

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de