[Lingtyp] from connector to focus marker

Timur Maisak timur.maisak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 16:18:20 UTC 2023

Dear Mohammad,

In Nakh-Daghestanian languages, the position of some grammatical markers
(auxiliaries, person markers, pragmatic markers etc.) often depends on the
information structure: as a rule, this is being described as the position
after the focused constituent (often, encliticized to the focused
constituent). In particular, quotative markers in some languages can be
placed this way. Although their "default" position is on the right edge
of quotes (1), they can be also found earlier in the quote, presumably
after the constituent in focus (2). Examples below are from Bagvalal (<
Avar-Andic) grammar by Kibrik et al. (2001).

(1) “χːeχː mašina b-aχːa b-ah-a=ʁala,
quickly car N-away N-take-IMP=QUOT
pojist b-ā-ɬā-χ ek’ʷa=ʁala”.
train N-come-IPFV-CONV COP=QUOT
(The woman started to cry:) 'Quickly take you car away from here, the train
is coming!'

(2) o-ru-r b-as’ĩ, “hindi=ʁala ɬ-ō-ba?”
that-OBL.HPL-ERG N-ask.AOR where=QUOT go.IPFV-PTCP-HPL
'They asked: Where are you going?'

Thus, if we treat quotative markers as a kind of subordinators, (2) above
illustrates a "shift" in the position of the subordinator. (If I understand
your reference to "shifting" correctly.)

Kibrik, Aleksandr E., Konstantin I. Kazenin, Ekaterina A. Ljutikova &
Sergej G. Tatevosov (eds.). 2001. Bagvalinskij jazyk. Grammatika. Teksty.
Slovari [Bagvalal: Grammar. Texts. Dictionaries.] Moscow: Nasledie.

Best,
Timur Maisak